Hot Crossed Buns
- 1 Tbsp. (or 1 pkg.) yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 cup scalded milk
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 4 1/2 cups (approx.) flour
- 3 egg yolks + egg whites
- 1 cup raisins (optional)
- lemon juice
- plain frosting
- In a large bowl, mix salt, sugar, shortening. Scald milk and add
it. Soften yeast in water. When mixture is lukewarm, add softened
yeast and 1 1/2 cups flour. Beat well and let rise until very light.
- Add egg yolks, raisins (if desired) and remaining flour gradually. Knead
lightly, cover, and let rise until double in bulk.
- Roll out to 1" thickness and cut into rounds. Place 2" apart on
greased sheets, cover, and let rise. Glaze the surface with egg white
diluted with water. With a sharp knife, cut a cross in the top of
each. Bake in a hot (400 degrees F) oven about 20 minutes. Just
before removing from oven, brush with sugar and water (2:1) mixed with
a little lemon juice.
- When cool, fill crosses with plain frosting. Makes 2 1/2